- Late 19th Century French Neoclassical Desk Chair in Cuban Mahogany
Late 19th Century French Neoclassical Desk Chair in Cuban Mahogany
Late 19th century French neoclassical desk chair in solid Cuban mahogany. Curved and convex top and mid rail, as well as an ergonomically curved solid mahogany seat panel lend tremendous comfort to this petite design. The seat frame features a strong draw-bored tenon construction typical of frames from this period. Beautifully turned front legs contrast inwardly splayed sabre-form back legs. hand carved S-scroll stiles provide not only comfort to the sitter--creating the inclined angle of the back--but also dynamism to the overall Silhouette of the design. Signs of hand tool work are visible throughout the piece, minor variances to matching parts add charm and the quality of a human touch from a pre-mechanized age. Rich patina throughout this example, with signs of age and gentle use; the chair is structurally sound--with no looseness to any joints, creaking, or racking.
This piece can be used as a desk chair with a period piece; it could also make a lovely accent piece in a more modern environment, as an occasional chair in the living room, a dressing chair for the boudoir etc..
- Height: 33.375 in. (84.78 cm)
- Width: 18.5 in. (46.99 cm)
- Depth: 17 in. (43.18 cm)
- Seat Height: 18.5 in. (46.99 cm)
- Neoclassical (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Late 19th Century
- Date of Manufacture
- Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. This item is in good antique condition. Minor splitting to the top of the s scroll stile.